Friday, December 31, 2010

Welcome Nathan!



On November 20, 2010, Nathan Daniel Schwartz joined our family; a son for Leanne and David, a brother for Sophie and a grandson for us!

Once again I was 500 miles away when Leanne called about noon to let me know that things were beginning to happen. A home birth was planned and after spending the morning experiencing contractions she felt confident that the birth would be sooner rather than later. I was so happy that it was Saturday...I wanted to be able to think about what was happening so far away and not be distracted by weekday concerns. Talking to her for about 20 minutes I realized that her contractions were coming fairly close together and I, too, felt that today would likely be the day Nathan would arrive. This time we knew that we were waiting for Nathan; Leanne and Davis had chosen to know the sex of the baby before his arrival.

Hanging up the phone I felt both excited and apprehensive. Leanne had had problems with sciatica during this pregnancy and I hoped it wouldn't cause difficulties. I hoped it would be a good experience for Sophie and that Leanne and David would be able to relax and focus on the birth, supported by their birthing team.

Over the next few hours I had a hard time settling...I couldn't focus on reading and, given the stormy day it was becoming, I was confined to the house. Eventually I pulled out some of my mom's old sewing things, as well as some of my grandmother's, and worked on sorting pins, needles, thread, and all sorts of sewing notions. Who knew I owned 27 thimbles!

As the afternoon progressed it became more and more stormy. Trevor, our son, was doing color commentary for the UC Davis football game on KDVS so I listened to him and the other announcers report on the rainy game. As it got later into the afternoon the storm became very intense and soon they were reporting lightning and thunder. A game delay was called and I could see and hear the wind and lightning and thunder out the back door. The intensity of it all, and the amount of time that had passed, made me feel certain that Nathan was making his arrival known! I sat and prayed, as I did when Sophie was being born, asking again for help and intercession from the women in my family who have gone before us, from women saints I feel drawn to, from St. Gerard, the patron saint of motherhood.  And when the call came almost an hour later I was not surprised to hear that the moment of Nathan's birth so closely matched the moment the intensity of the storm reached its peak.

The sweet little boy I have been lucky enough to visit twice already does not SEEM to have a stormy personality! On the contrary, he has been so calm and observant that he may have just wanted to make a big entrance. I am so excited to begin this part of the grandparent journey...welcome Nathan Daniel!

No comments: